Monday, July 9, 2012

'Le Ballon Rouge'

I've been feeling under the weather for the past few days. Quite a horrible chest cold and sore throat. I still feel weak and cough occasionally, but with the help of family's love and good winter food, I'm starting to feel like myself again! 

Since my partner has been at home for his semester holidays, we've spent a really nice time just hanging out at home and watching old movies (some of them are very old - 1904! Some of them are the first films ever by Georges Méliès) snuggled up in a blanket together with hot lemon tea (great for your sore throat).

My partner was driving past a local flower shop and saw a red balloon there, which reminded him of a film he used to watch on rainy afternoons at school - 'Le Ballon Rouge' ('The Red Balloon'), directed by Albert Lamorisse in 1956.  So he brought home the movie for us, which was nice of him!  Our four year old son and I absolutely loved it. 

The film is about a young school boy who one day finds a shockingly beautiful red big balloon hanging on a street light. The balloon begins to follow him anywhere he goes and eventually he makes friends with the balloon. An interesting relationship ensues... 

It is such a beautiful, refreshing yet elegiac film that has an incredible power to imprint the story in people's minds. 

The first part of the film found here

No comments:

Post a Comment